Friday, August 29, 2008

Going green


At an orientation for new faculty the other day, the environmental officer handed me a flier on ways to contribute to my university's "sustainability efforts." Some of these are long-accomplished in our library, but others are new ideas:

* Policy to prefer recycled content paper or other products

* Shut off equipment overnight and on weekends (computer monitors, lights, projectors and copiers

* Reduce waste:
~~~~ Choose re-usable over disposable where feasible
~~~~ Go paperless with processes & communication
~~~~ Use scrap paper trays to re-use paper; double sided copies, print sparingly
~~~~ Use your mug for drinks at the caff rather than disposable cups

* Recycle
~~~~ Glass, metal, plastic, paper, cardboard, cartridges
~~~~ Donate usable office supplies, furniture & equipment

* Reduce your transit footprint
~~~~ Bike, public transit, zipcar, carpooling

* Share your ideas for sustainability

Now that I think of it, it's kind of ironic that it was a paper handout.

The image is a 2005 poster from NOAA (National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration at http://www.noaa.gov/earthday/index.html where they evidently have been taking Earth Day seriously right along. Good for you guys!

2 comments:

Marie S. Newman said...

Hi, Betsy: Some very practical suggestions. What do you think about Lexis's decision to "go green" and give out almost no documentation this year? I am delighted not to have to store it, but I think the students are a little confused about where to find it on the Lexis site. I wonder if Westlaw will follow suit.

Betsy McKenzie said...

I agree; I guess there will be a learning curve. Some things I do like to have in print (I still recall those little table tents with the major boolean commands with great fondness!).